Our Mission: The right product at the right cost at the right time.
That sounds simple enough, until you consider that our business breaks down into two distinct and demanding divisions:
We’re the largest independent co-packer of teas, ades, chilled juices, waters, and energy drinks west of the Mississippi. We also make, market, and distribute our own Go Girl® Energy Drinks.
Our veteran equipment solutions team serves customers that range from convenience stores to biotech labs. We help our customers select the right equipment; then we install and service it. We also make repairs, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Keeping true to our mission in such a challenging business environment starts with who we are. We’re a family business, owned and operated by the Dearys. Started by Roy Deary in 1937, we were managed by Grant and Don Deary until Grant’s death in 1999, and run by Don Deary until he “retired” to the position of board chairman in 2010. Our President and CEO Shannon Deary-Bell represents the third generation of Nor-Cal Beverage Dearys. We look forward to welcoming the fourth generation.
Though Don turned over the helm to daughter Shannon in 2010, he’s still the first one in every morning. As he puts it, he’s keeping track of all the chickens and leading by example. Including Shannon, five members of the third generation work for the company; the remaining two are active board members. The Dearys employed at Nor-Cal worked their way up the ranks to their current positions. Like Don, they show up every day and work hard—as does every Nor-Cal Beverage employee.
Because Nor-Cal Beverage reflects directly on the family, they take it to heart. After 75 years in business, they’ve developed a unique way of doing things. It’s a mix of high tech and old school, a blend that creates some interesting dichotomies:
- Our production, packaging, quality control, and logistics systems employ the industry’s most advanced technology, but a real person answers the phone, not an automated phone-tree system.
- We employ more than 500 people in some very tough jobs, yet the majority have worked here for more than 20 years, compared to the 2010 U.S. average of just 4.4 years *. In MBA terms, we maintain a wealth of intellectual capital. In Nor-Cal Beverage terms, our people know what they’re doing and they like working here.
- Our two contract manufacturing facilities produce 50 million cases of drinks each year, many made with juices, honey, or sugar, yet you won’t come away from a facility tour with sticky shoes. Cleanliness is important.
- When customers call, we answer or call them back as soon as we can. That’s true whether the customer works for a FORTUNE 100 company, mid-sized craft brewery, or small family restaurant. We pride ourselves on great customer service.
- If we tell you we’ll do something, we will. Integrity is everything.
- We build long-term partnerships with our customers. In many cases, those partnerships span decades.
Though our business model may be uncommon in today’s world, we believe it’s why we’ve survived for so many years and how we’re able to continue delivering the right product at the right cost and at the right time.
*According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/tenure.nr0.htm